Tuesday, October 17, 2006

One Day in History

The National Trust is running a campaign to get people involved in history and one thing they are tryig to do is create the largest blog ever. What this means is that they want everyone to post a blog entry about their day, Oct 17th, on their website that will be accessible for generations to come as part of the archive at the British Library.

Apparently they are most keen (according to the bbc news article on ordinary day to day stuff that may appear mundane to us now but in 50 years may hold astonishing truths for future generations.

Anyway, here's what I submitted and I hope all my loyal readers will get over there and submit something too!

##############################
My day started pretty much as usual, with me being tired as hell. To be fair it was my fault, we had a show rehearsal last night and decided to do the shopping afterwards. Tesco, at 10.15pm, trying to do a weekly shop is not a great place to be. Especially as I hate Tesco, but that's a story for another time. Doing the shopping that late wasn't the problem, it was getting home, unpacking it,putting it away and then trying to read some of my book before going to sleep, that was. The fact that wake up time in the morning feels as dark as the middle of the night doesn't help.

Had Bran Flakes for breakfast as a change from Shreddies and watched another repeat of Friends until it was time to go to work at BT. Drove there (and really must try alternative routes as it can be quite slow going the Ipswich town way in the car) and listened to Radio 2 and Terry Wogan. Can't really remember what they were talking about but there was some complaining about Gordon Brown stealing money from the Janet & John CDs that should be going to charity.

Got to work at about 8.15am, the first as usual, although I did have a voicemail from my boss who was in even earlier. The day was pretty productive actually as I managed to make great progress on my process document. This is to contribute to my Objective of Succession Planning but really it means if I get hit by a bus someone will be able to understand how I write my reports and the Resource Management team won't fail due to lack of information (although to be honest they don't read what I currently produce and sometimes I think they wouldn't notice if I made the figures up each month).

I also got copied in on quite a gratifying email from my boss's boss's boss to someone I'm doing some work with pointing out that what I'd been saying for weeks was in fact his position as well and that he couldn't understand why the team I'd been dealing with for weeks hadn't sorted it out yet. It was nice to know that he supported me and I didn't end up looking stupid. My favourite bit was where he said "I'm frankly appalled that the XXXXX team has failed to understand this concept yet"...yay!

Left at a reasonable time and called K with a list of additional ingredients for tonight's dinner. Overcooked the noodles and my Pork & Peanut noodles ended up a bit of a slop but tasted quite nice. Also managed to finish my book (Terry Pratchett's Thud!) but was annoyed that the last few pages were the first chapter of his next book. This really annoys me. I think I have so many pages left, judging by thickness, then suddenly it's all over because I've got to read the first few pages of a book that's not out for ages, that I'll only re-read when I buy it anyway! Pointless!

Will be spending the rest of the evening playing videogames (DS - Rocket Slime, PC - Uplink & Darwinia) as K is out at a orchestra rehearsal!
##########################################

No comments: