Saturday, April 16, 2005

Wales

In other news we just spent a week in Wales (after the kitchen was done in main part but before the finishing touches were done). I didn’t know what to expect but it was great to get a week off from work. The cottage was different to what we were expecting but once we got used to it, it was great. I suppose Wales will forever be in my mind as a place where there are sheep everywhere, it rains a lot and everywhere has a strange sounding name.

We did however climb Snowdon (and none of the train up and down malarkey) which was an experience. Kath had been keeping me motivated by the thought of the café at the top…somewhere warm to sit and dry off. We did take waterproofs but the sunny skies and clement weather at the base threw us off guard and by the time we should have had waterproofs on we were already soaked through. The café turned out to be a bitter disappointment as it was shut, so instead we huddled in the lee of it, out of the wind drinking tea from a flask. I guess what really made it special was the dense ,clinging fog which stripped away any sense of achievement of climbing 1000m. We could have been anywhere for all we could see!!

Other exciting daytrips included Bangor (please ignore the song, there’s absolutely piss all there) and Lllandudno which was actually quite nice. Especially when I made Kath think she’d left her glasses behind in the restaurant! God I’m mean sometimes!

We also went to the CAT, which is the Centre for Alternative Technology. Very interesting but I do feel somewhat guilty now about everything I do. It became clear that we should do more for the environment so we are going to start trying. Number one on the list is to start composting, followed by buying local produce and buying green energy. All of them are eminently achievable its just getting around to doing it. B&Q only seem to sell a composter that is far, far too large for the 2 of us and would take up half my garden. The problem is I don’t want to go the worms route because you have to actually look after them or they’ll die. I need to do some scouting on the net and see what I can find.

No comments: