Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Ooooops!

eBay can be a very dangerous thing….Sunday night I was suffering through the post-E3 drought of information and was starting to think what a good idea it would be to get an Xbox 360. Some of the games coming for it look great. Oblivion, Mass Effect and Gears of War look brilliant. A reality check later says that it’s not a good idea to spend £300 on a console for only 1 game that is currently available.

My mind then strayed to the Xbox. Not really the most attractive of consoles aesthetically but well into its life and there are some great looking games. I watched some video reviews over on IGN (Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2 & Jade Empire) and started to get excited about the types of games I could get on an Xbox that I don’t own.

I happened to visit eBay and noticed that there was a second-hand Xbox for sale for £45 with a reserve and lots of bids. Not thinking that my bid would be the highest one or would meet the reserve I plonked down a bid of £50. Hmm so now I’ve got the current winning bid that HAS met the reserve and there only appears to be 16 minutes left on the auction (and its 11:30pm). Needless to say I won the auction and emboldened by this I ordered a couple of Xbox games from Amazon. My only problems now are realising that I didn’t have quite as much money left in my account as I thought (fingers crossed I’ll win my GS Award for Excellence) so I’m going to have a lean couple of weeks, the fact that a hulking great Xbox isn’t going to fit into my sleek entertainment centre (guffaw!) and that I don’t know when I’m actually going to play the thing!

I really do have to focus on completing games before I buy any others….currently waiting in my uncompleted stack are….

Baiten Kaitos (GC)
Metroid Prime 2 (GC)
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (GC)
Xmen Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse (GC)
Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls (GBA)
Sonic Rush (DS)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
Trauma Center: Under the Knife (DS)
Metroid Prime Hunters (DS)
Ultimate Spiderman (DS)
Kirby: Power Paintbrush (DS)
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)

Soon to be added are Jade Empire & Halo 2…oh the joy! And this list doesn’t include games that I still play but don’t require ’finishing’ like Tetris DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World and Meteos. In preparation I’ve been spending only a brief amount of time in my village each day and cracking on with Phoenix Wright. Finished Chapter 4 last night and only have one chapter left! The last chapter took K ages if I remember rightly *sigh*.

The problem is there are games coming on the horizon that I might just have to buy….Super Princess Peach, Brain Age, Chibi-Robo, and New SUPER MARIO BROS all come in the next couple of months. Added to which its summer and I should be making the most of it!

Thankfully K has been thoughtful and managed to be out for the next couple of evenings so I’ll have some free time to fill with gaming goodness. Although I tend to enjoy games less when I’m forced to complete them! The spell World of Warcraft had on me has thankfully waned, I know if I log in again I’ll be drawn back so I’ve done the sensible thing and cancelled my subscription! I am now saving £8.99 a month and can concentrate on the rest of my list!

On a completely unrelated subject K and I got parts in the upcoming shows we’re doing. I’ll be playing Edwin and K is the interestingly titled ‘Groupie’.

Also we go to the BBC Good Food Summer Food Festival on Friday with my parents. This is handy as they’ll be driving so that I can get sloshed on free wine! I’ll be on the lookout for a new BBQ and because we’ll be in the car I can buy loads of stuff that I wouldn’t usually be able to carry! Hooray! I’m actually slightly surprised that my Dad is still coming. Usually something (work or golf) comes up which scuppers any plans. Not this time it seems. Although he is managing to get in a game on Thursday night when we’re driving over…I’ll not repeat what K said when she found out Dad was going to be at the golf course on Thursday night (mainly because I can’t really remember what she said, only that it was funny!)

1 comment:

thermalsatsuma said...

If you enjoy Jade Empire, then I can recommend both of the Knights of the Old Republic games - classic Star Wars stuff.