Thursday, June 15, 2006

Football

On the instructions of my boss at work I did watch the England match today. He'd ben spreading rumours that the only reaosn I was working from home today was so I could watch the match but in fact it was so I could make sure the plasterer didn't steal my stuff. Which is really unfair and judgemental as he was a nice chap who has done a good job so far.

I don't know what it is but I think we've stopped trusting people, society in general I mean. I think there are many things to blame but ultimately I think we get what we deserve, civic karma, if you will. We want to be able to move to and work from where we want, consequently we don't know or trust our neighbours. We want to be able to know what's going on from our newspapers, hence we live in fear of crime that statistically happens to barely anyone. We want to earn lots of money, and so we feel bad when someone earns more than us. We want to have children but we feel we need more money to support them although our parents managed just fine with barely half what we have now.

Don't get me wrong I'm not sure I'd want to live in another time but I can't help feel sad for what we've lost. The obvious benefits are that I don't have to worry about how I'm going to feed and clothe myself, I can eat food from all around the world, I can find out just about anything about anything without 14 volumes of Encyclopeadia Brittanica weighing down my bookcase, I can play games with people in the US & Scotland as if they were in the next room. All in all I don't think I'd live anywhen else!

No comments: